Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Baby girl nightgown:

These are seriously the cutest and most comfortable little nightgowns ever.
My sweet aunt taught me how to make them when I found out I was having a girl.
I couldn't believe easy they were to make.
My baby girl wore them until she was like 5 months old.
She's a bit small, but generally they last for about 3 months.
I love how long they are-keeping their little legs covered and making it easy for the constant diaper changing.
NO snaps and stuff.
Plus I love the little mittens on the onesie at the top of the nightgown.
Plus you can pick your fabric.
I ordered mine off of fabric.com
Love that place.
Here are some pictures of my Olivia in a few of hers.

This one is flannel so it is extra soft and warm.




Okay here is how to make them.
I posted a DIY ruffle dress a few posts ago with a step by step process on what to do.
So for the most part we are going to be following that.
http://precioussparemoments.blogspot.com/2011/10/diy-onsie-ruffle-dress.html
You will need:
A sewing machine
Matching thread
3/4 yard fabric
a size 0-3 month onesie. (I just bought the packs of 3 with mittens)
And about 1 hour worth of time!
So cut your square of fabric out.
26 1/2 inches wide and 22 inches long.
Make sure that when you fold it hamburger style that it is plenty long.
Now follow the exact same steps up to the gathering part.
At this part the only thing that is different is that you will want to gather the fabric more, so that the waist is smaller.
If you have another newborn dress or you have your baby right there just hold it up to them and gather it to about the same size!
Keep following the same steps.
When you finish sewing the onesie on and have cut the extra fabric off and zigzagged around the edges. Flip it right side out and of course begin admiring.
If you like the length then don't worry about cutting it, if you want it a tad shorter then just cut the extra fabric right off.
If you do cut it you will want to zigzag around the bottom of the dress again.
Now I love this part because it just puts the finishing touches on this way cute nightgown.
Fold the bottom of your nightgown in about 1/2 inch-1 inch.
Iron it all around so it stays folded.
Now pick a cute stitch on your machine.
You may have to change the foot.
And sew around the whole bottom.
See below for pictures.


Make sure you cut off all the random strings.
And that's it!
You have your very cute, cozy nightgown that I promise you won't regret making.
Let me know if you have any questions!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment